If you’re a playwright, wouldn’t it be nice to have someone who can:
* Provide objective, constructive feedback like this example critique on your script at any stage of its development?
* Support your work artistically, on its own terms, for its own sake?
* Ask challenging questions that help you develop your characters, story, and style?
* Co-create a schedule of writing deadlines to keep you motivated and accountable?
* Work with you to build and strengthen specific aspects of your creative habits and practice, like a personal trainer for your writing muscles?
In addition to my own career as a playwright where I have gained over a decade of professional writing experience, I’ve trained in new play development hands-on by evaluating hundreds of scripts and working in development processes with dozens of dramaturgs, directors, writers, and producers as a theatrical literary department staff member.
Before going freelance, I spent 2010-11 as Literary Manager for Cutting Ball Theater, where I oversaw their new works festival “Risk is This,” including the development of world premieres by Andrew Saito and Eugenie Chan. I spent 2008-09 as the Dramaturgy Fellow at Tony-winning American Conservatory Theater, where I worked at the side of Resident Dramaturg Michael Paller for an entire season, in rehearsal rooms with playwrights including José Rivera and John Guare.
I work with other kinds of writers, too. I’ve served as a judge for the Blue Cat national screenplay competition, and as an editor for numerous blogs and non-fiction outlets.
Now, I take clients independently, forging one-on-one partnerships with writers in person or online (via correspondence/Skype/Zoom/etc). Here are a few sample packages:
* Reading a single draft of your full length play (approx. 16,000 words) and providing a written feedback document (approx. 2 pages): $99
* Reading a ten minute play (approx. 1,300 words) and providing a written feedback document (approx. 1 page): $35
* 1 hour strategy consult about your writing goals and artistic toolkit: $50
* 10 hours of my time (which may include a personalized combination of reading your works-in-development, providing written feedback, discussing roadblocks or hurdles in your process, meeting with you in-person or via Skype for a series of half-hour Socratic conversations, and/or working with you to plan and deliver on a schedule of project deadlines and milestones), to be scheduled within a 6-month window: $425
If that sounds like what you need but cost is a barrier, I am open to sliding scale for artists of underrepresented demographics (which, yup, still includes women in 2021) and I also love pair-coaching, so if you know another artist who might want to develop something of their own in the same medium on a similar timeline I can see you both for $60/hr total (or $510 for 10 hrs) which is relatively affordable since you’re splitting the cost.
Art is for everybody so if your budget is small, we might still be able to get you a lot of what you need.
Some writers just need one hour-long session where we make a strong work plan and then they come back in 6 months inviting me to a dress rehearsal for notes.
Some writers really flourish with a daily check-in, and we can jump on Zoom for 10 minutes just to be like “Ok, what’re we working on today?” or “What did you find today, what are you gonna work towards tomorrow?”
So, like any coaching, it is really about finding what is the best match for your schedule, your goals, your budget.
If you’d like to book a consult or a package, or gift my time to a creative friend whose work you’d like to support, please e-Mail me to start a conversation. I love working with writers at all levels!