If you’re a playwright, wouldn’t it be nice to have someone who can:
* Provide objective, constructive feedback like this example critique on your script at any stage of its development?
* Support your work artistically, on its own terms, for its own sake?
* Ask challenging questions that help you develop your characters, story, and style?
* Co-create a schedule of writing deadlines to keep you motivated and accountable?
* Work with you to build and strengthen specific aspects of your creative habits and practice, like a personal trainer for your writing muscles?
I’ve trained in new play development hands-on, reading hundreds of new plays as theatrical literary department submissions, and working with dozens of dramaturgs, directors, writers, and producers.
Before going freelance, I spent 2010-11 as Literary Manager for Cutting Ball Theater, where I oversaw their new works festival “Risk is This,” including the development of world premieres by Andrew Saito and Eugenie Chan. I spent 2008-09 as the Dramaturgy Fellow at Tony-winning American Conservatory Theater, where I worked at the side of Resident Dramaturg Michael Paller for an entire season, in rehearsal rooms with playwrights including José Rivera and John Guare.
I work with other kinds of writers, too. I’ve served as a judge for the Blue Cat national screenplay competition, and as an editor for numerous blogs and non-fiction outlets.
Now, I take clients independently, forging one-on-one partnerships with writers in person or online (via correspondence/Skype). Here are a few sample packages:
* Reading a single draft of your full length play (approx. 16,000 words) and providing a written feedback document (approx. 2 pages): $99
* Reading a ten minute play (approx. 1,300 words) and providing a written feedback document (approx. 1 page): $35
* 1 hour strategy consult about your writing goals and artistic toolkit: $50
* 10 hours of my time (which may include a personalized combination of reading your works-in-development, providing written feedback, discussing roadblocks or hurdles in your process, meeting with you in-person or via Skype for a series of half-hour Socratic conversations, and/or working with you to plan and deliver on a schedule of project deadlines and milestones), to be scheduled within a 6-month window: $425
If you’d like to book one of these packages, or gift my time to a creative friend whose work you’d like to support, please e-Mail me to start a conversation. I love working with writers at all levels!